Standard 15: Student Internships and Capstones
Forsyth Central High School STEM Academy students are required to participate in either an internship or complete a capstone project to be a STEM graduate. Examples of some of the opportunities for the students are listed below.
- Internships in process of developing with UNG as Research Lab assistant, or Lab Class Assistant. The numbers and hours for each internships is being determined at this point in time. Students will be partnered with a UNG college student working on a Master’s level research project as an assistant
- Partnership with Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College: Students participate in a weekend long excursion to learn and develop skills in the capture and release of amphibians for an ongoing Biotech project looking at Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis in our local amphibian population in Forsyth County.
- Students wrote and submitted documentation to the Georgia Department of Natural Resources for a Special Collection Permit for Scientific Collection of Specimens and were approved
- Repair of UV damaged yeast DNA through Photolyase Upregulation:
- Determining the effect of Pif1p Helicase on the telomere length by measuring nematode lifespan by means of RNA interference.
- Studying Apoptosis through RNA Interference in Nematodes by observing the effects of EGL-1 gene has on CED-9 gene.
- Detection of the amphibian fungal pathogen Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis (Bd) by PCR in Cumming, Georgia and surrounding areas
- CAD Applications at Automation Direct
- Java App Development at Automation Direct
- Mechanical Engineering Summer Internships at Panduit
- Developing a future Internship at Hayward-Baker (largest geo-technical civil engineering company in the world)
- Consumer Product Development
- Robotics Applications
- Computer Programming Engineering
- Automotive-Mechanical/Electrical Engineering
Two Engineering students, Trent and Drew, discuss their summer internship and the impact the FCHS STEM Academy had on that internship in the video clip below.
Brandon, an engineering student, completed a capstone project on programming that is described in the video below.